Diploma Validation

Validate you Hungarian diploma if you wish to use it abroad!

Educational Authority

1st Step: Contacting the Oktatási Hivatal – Educational Authority

Contact the Educational Authority and request the certificate verifying the validity of your diploma.

A service is available through The Hungarian Centre for Recognition and Information on Foreign Qualifications for issuing official certificates of higher education diplomas. Required for both Apostille and Embassy/Consular legalization, this document attests to the validity of the diploma issued by a Hungarian Higher Education Institution and outlines the legal framework of the education field concerned.


Office Hours:

  • Monday - Thursday: 8:00 - 16:30
  • Friday: 8:00 - 14:00

✉: Budapest XII. district, Maros street 19-21.

☏: +36-1/374-2212

Further Details on Diploma Vertification

Apostille or Consular/Embassy Legalization

2nd Step: Apostille or Consular/Embassy Legalization

Decide whether you need Apostille or Consular/Embassy Legalization (depends on the country in which you wish to use it).

The Apostille Convention (Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents) is an international treaty established by the Hague Conference on Private International Law. It outlines a process by which a document issued in one member country can be certified for legal use in all other member states. The Apostille itself is a stamp that verifies the authenticity of a document obtained in one country, ensuring it is recognized and accepted as valid in another member state without further authentication. This simplifies the process of legalizing documents across international borders, eliminating the need for additional authentication procedures.

Hague Apostille Convention List

In case the country where you want to use it is not a part of the Hague Convention (is not on the list), you need Embassy/Consular legalization.


3rd Step: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

For both Apostille and Consular/Embassy Legalization

(According to Act 46 of 2001 on Consular Protection,) The Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade can legalize signatures and seals on documents issued by Hungarian official bodies for foreign use, provided that the necessary signature and stamp samples are available in the ministry's register. There are two categories of documents based on the country where they will be used: those requiring legalization through an Apostille Certificate and those requiring diplomatic legalization. It's essential to specify the country where the document will be used when initiating the legalization process for each document. The legalisation procedure can be initiated both in person and by post.

Office Hours:

  • Monday - Thursday: 9:00 -11:00

  • Friday: 11:00 -12:00 (only for receiving the stamped documents)

✉: 1027 Budapest II. district Nagy Imre square 4. E Building, ground floor

☏: +36-1/458-1000


4th Step: Consular/Embassy Legalization (only if the country is not part of the Apostille Convention)

If your country is not part of the Apostille Convention, you have to validate the documents with the embassy of your target country.

Each embassy has its own administrative procedures, so it's recommended to contact them by phone or email beforehand. When visiting the embassy, remember to bring your ID or passport, along with the original diploma, and ensure you have enough money to cover any applicable fees. A more detailed description of the whole procedure can be found on the government website.

More detailed description of the whole procedure can be found on the government website.