The overall objective of the Thesis is to reinforce the student’s learning by requiring that experience be brought to bear upon a real-life business problem. The range of problems that may be addressed is extensive. The Thesis – Research Methodology and Consultation (please find the syllabus in your Student Handbook) is designed to give an insight into the problems businesses face and to provide students with the necessary tools to resolve these problems. Thesis - Research Methodology (fall semester) and Thesis – Consultation (spring semester) are independent modules in which students work towards their thesis.
Topics for the Thesis can be freely selected by the students through Neptun during a given period..
The Theses go through plagiarism control with the usage of the TURNITIN software. In case the Thesis is plagiarism free it can be evaluated. In case plagiarism is detected, the Thesis will be turned back to the student, a failing grade is recorded in Neptun and a new Thesis has be submitted in the next semester. The student also receives a Warning letter which is documented in their Neptun profile.
The Thesis is evaluated by the supervisor and by an opponent – referees – suggested by the supervisor. Both referees’ judgement has the same weight therefore if both of them give grade 1 (fail) for the Thesis then the student is not allowed to defend the work and has to rewrite the Thesis.
If one of the referees gives a grade 1 (fail) and the other gives a grade 2 (pass) or better, then the thesis has to be seen by a third referee. If the third referee gives a grade 1 (fail) then it is the responsibility of the Programme Director to decide whether to allow the student to defend the thesis, or if the student must rewrite it.
The due date of the Thesis is the end of the 6th semester.
Requirements concerning thesis
- The thesis writer should be able to prove that s/he can apply what s/he learnt during the studies, so the topic of the thesis should be compatible with some specific field learnt at the respective programme, some aspect of this programme (a subject) should be featured in the thesis.
- The thesis should be logical as regards its structure, the processing of literature and the practical analysis should harmonise with each other.
- Research question: it does not have to be explicitly stated but should indicate what the topic is about
- Own research is not a must, desktop research is enough
- Statistics: if there is descriptive statistics and basic methodology, that may be enough, but the thesis writer should interpret this as well
- Literature research: necessary
- Too much of own opinion without literature: not enough
- The topics should be focused
- List of references: should include books and articles as well
- Internet based sources (hír24, hrportal, wikipedia): not enough
- a minimum of 10 pieces of literature – if no item is in foreign language, points are deducted (it is necessary for the highest point/excellent result)
- Own research:
- Case study:
- Should not be exaggerated, should not be too much within the whole of the thesis, should contain both references to literature and own opinion of the thesis writer
- Not good if source is missing (!): (e.g. company sources, financial data)
- The examination of 1 organisation is enough
- Methodology description:
- It is often missing
- If it is written in the introduction, that may be enough
- It can also be featured in the chapter on results
The length of the thesis in the bachelor programme is 30 typed pages at least (minimum 54,000 characters without spaces), which is to be calculated without the auxiliary parts (cover page, content, appendices, annexes, list of abbreviations etc.).