The overall objective of the Thesis is to reinforce the student’s learning experience, by requiring that experience be brought to bear upon a real-life business problem. The range of problems that may be addressed is extensive. The Thesis Development module is designed to give an insight into the problems businesses face and to provide students with the necessary tools to resolve these problems. The Thesis Development module is an independent module in which students work towards their Thesis.
Thesis topic and supervisor selection and the process of Thesis submission
Students’ Thesis topic and supervisor selection and the process of Thesis submission consist of the following steps:
Students choose their topic from a list of available topics and related supervisors one semester before the submission of the thesis. If a student follows the curriculum, the topic has to be selected in the 3rd semester.
The thesis application is available on NEPTUN.
The supervisor confirms the selected topic by the end of the selection period (end of March/October)
Students have the right to change the confirmed topic and choose another one.
- Students may start their work on their thesis after approval of the selected topic: start a consultation with the selected supervisor, start working on the research proposal and literature review.
- Students hand in their thesis by a previously announced deadline on the 4th semester at the Study Department with the Supervisor Contact Form. Supervisor Contact Form is for controlling the students’ consultation activity. There are a minimum number of compulsory consultations which has to be accomplished
Students have the opportunity to participate in the Hungarian Scientific Conference for Students and also in different case study competitions (e.g. L’Oreal, International Case Writing Competition). For these competitions, they have to produce serious research work and submit written presentations. This scientific work of the students can constitute a very good foundation of their Thesis.
Thesis will be evaluated by the set deadline by the supervisor and the assigned opponent. The evaluation sheet is public and available to all students. The Thesis evaluation form can be found in the actual Student Handbook of the programme.
Requirements concerning thesis
The thesis writer should be able to prove that s/he can apply what s/he learnt during the studies, so the topic of the thesis should be compatible with some specific field learnt at the respective programme, some aspect of this programme (a subject) should be featured in the thesis.
- A very good Desktop Research may be suitable
- The thesis should be logical as regards its structure, the processing of literature and the practical analysis should harmonise with each other.
- Application of higher level statistics, more complex methods
- cross table, multi-variable methodologies
- at least 1 more complicated methodology
- at the processing of own case study we should expect student to give recommendations and draw conclusions of his/her own and not just simply put down the case.
- Own research
- Possibly the student should use a validated questionnaire
- S/he should discuss with statisticians who should be asked to be second opponent
- S/he should prove his/her ability to apply the theory
- So if there is no own research, then a very sophisticated theoretical comparison should be made, and a critical view applied
- The analysis of 1 company is fine, if it is a comparative analysis
- Literature research:
- recent literature
- literature written in the last 3-4 years
- also items in foreign literature (4-5 at least)
- 15 - 20 on the average
- not internet-based, except if the topic is a niche with no mature literature
- description of the methodology: a separate chapter
- Or a separate chapter within the results
- Research question: should be clarified; if the introduction clarifies what the thesis is about, that is also acceptable